Friday, July 18, 2008

Going Free

I'm taking a break from posting yet another bunch of pictures of my darling kids. Instead, I thought i'd tell some of you out there, about something I am changing in my own little world. Before i tell you what i'm going without, let me start with why. After each of my babies are born, I have the typical hair falling out phase. My phase does not return to normal very quickly, in fact it lasts the entire time i nurse. Considering I've nursed all my babies for a year, you can imagine how awful my hair gets during that year. It gets so brittle and dry and fuzzy. I cannot deal with the fuzzy. I also suffer from ecxema and psoriasis on my skin. These are miserable to deal with, and while i only suffer with it a little, it is enough for me to want to find a solution. So in a vain attempt to find how i could help my hair and skin, i started researching hair products and info about them. There is the typical eat healthier, take vitamins approach, but i already do that (mostly). Then there is the use unbelievable amounts of expensive products approach, I am way to poor to do that. And then there is the sulfate free approach. This is the approach i chose. Now before you all go thinking ive gone hippie, and tree hugger on you, (i will not show up in dreads next time you see me) just hear me out.
Most soaps have sodium lauryl or laureth sulfates in them. This ingredient is what causes that rich lather that makes us feel so clean. We use it because it is in almost every product that is a form of soap. Its very difficult to find products that don't have it in it. But in short, it harshly strips the hair of all natural oils, and then we have to use conditioners and product with water insoluble emollients in them to smooth the dry brittle hair shafts. When you use a sulfate free shampoo, it does not strip the hair of oils, it just cleans dirt out and protects the hair. Then you can use a light conditioner, with water soluble emollients ( so you dont get build up) and your hair looks and feels so much better. And some of you may know how hair styles better when you washed it yesterday, right? well this makes your hair so it styles well all the time, because it is never full of static, frizzy dryness, and brittle fly aways. The same goes for not stripping the skin of natural oils with sulfates. I know a lot of people are blessed to not ever suffer with dry skin and hair, but if you do i highly recommend trying out sulfate free shampoos and soap.
These are a little more expensive, but you can find reasonably priced ones like burts bees shampoo, and you can go cheaper on your conditioners and product for you hair. If I was rich, I would use Wen sulfate free cleansing conditioner, I hear it is great but expensive.
I've just started this change, and so far I am loving the change in my hair, so I will keep you posted on the long term results.





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooooooo! Good idea hilly! I am getting so sick of finding huge hairballs in my shower! ha ha. gross I know...

Anonymous said...

i wouldnt mind checking it out. I have so many skin and hair issues too. good idea!

Freddie said...

Me too :) ya know when i was in Israel and got the dead sea products, the body wash of the Ahava stuff is the kind that your talking about. No soapy suds, just cleans with a nice smooth texture. cool, i will look for more stuff that is like it too. my hair is bad, cuz i dye it so much.

The Allred Family said...

Interesting....I remember my hair used to break and be dry out west. Just move out to GA and your hair probs and skin issues will be resolved. Promise. Seriously, we were out in CO for a week adn Link broke out in exsema (how do you sepll that?). Anywho...best of luck...hippie!

Anonymous said...

Ok I have been using my sulfate free shampoo for 2 days...My hair is like silk today. WOW! Why isn't this getting more exposure?

anne said...

That is some good information. I'll have to try some of those products. My hair falls out in handfulls starting about 3 months after I have a baby and lasts until they're about 9 months. It is terrible. You could make 3 or 4 wigs with all the hair...I know...gross huh. It's finally growing back which is good and frustrating at the same time. I hate that it all comes back together because then you have fly-aways all over your head. Good times. Now it's about 3 inches long...so we're getting there. :)